Sunday, August 7, 2011

Answered Prayer

Today I had a very interesting experience.  It was Fast and Testimony meeting.  For those not familiar with this practice, in the LDS church, on the first Sunday of each month, it is customary to go without two meals, or fast.  The money that would have been spent on the food is then donated to help the less fortunate.  This is coupled with Testimony meeting.  In it, members who feel so moved, bear testimony of the gospel and the love of Jesus Christ.  This is often accompanied by personal examples or stories.

Shortly after the testimony portion began, I was holding Aaron and looking at him.  I began to wonder if he was still touching and helping others now that he is doing so well and, at least now, is so stable.  I mean, he really is very healthy and happy.  I began to pray that if so, someone would maybe mention him.  Then, almost immediately, I felt a little foolish.  I shouldn't need a sign from heaven to validate my feelings.  I know he's still helping me improve.  That should be enough.

Later, just before all the meetings were over, I was watching a couple other babies who have been born since he was and realized something.  EVERYONE at church knows Aaron.  Everyone, including the men, greet and address him by name.  I know I don't know all the small childrens' names, and I suspect that among the men there is even fewer who know them.  But they all know and take interest in Aaron.  I thought my prayer had been answered, and, in a way, it was.

But the most interesting part came as I was putting Aaron in the car, always a lengthy process.  A neighbor came up and asked how he was doing and mentioned how much he blessed her life.  She then went on to say that she had almost said something about that as she bore her testimony, but there was just too much to say and she didn't want to take too much time.  What a blessing it was for her to take those minutes and share that with me.  I am so grateful she did.  It may have been a silly prayer, but my Heavenly Father knew it was important to me.  I am so grateful He inspired her to say just what I needed to hear, and grateful she listened to that prompting.  I've been smiling about it all day.

Be thou ahumble; and the Lord thy God shall blead thee by the hand, and give thee answer to thy prayers. 
Doctrine & Covenants 112:10

No comments:

Post a Comment