Wednesday, December 24, 2014

Where's Baby Jesus?

Twenty-some years ago, my mom made a soft nativity for the kids to play with.  All the pieces can be moved and played with, but the one that kept disappearing was the Baby Jesus.  It became an oft repeated phrase at Christmastime:  "Where's Baby Jesus?  Who's seen Baby Jesus?"  And He would be found, eventually.

That phrase has made me think over the years.  Where is the Baby Jesus?  Can we feel His spirit?  How is He evidenced in our lives?  All over my house I have Nativity scenes scattered and at the focal point of each is the Savior.  Is He the focal point of my life?  Or do I forget and "lose" Him?

I am so blessed by so many around me.  This morning I had a yummy breakfast prepared by a family who's grandson once spent six months here at the hospital.  They wanted to give back.  Right now, there are a couple of music therapy girls in here, singing quiet Christmas songs to my oh so sick little man.  That's probably as good a medicine as anything else we're giving him.  The phone calls, the Facebook messages, the visits with friends.  Such an abundance of blessings.


Yes, Aaron is sick, and yes, there are places I'd rather be, but it is what it is.  And that's okay.  Santa will come see us on New Year's Eve and I'm hoping Aaron is well enough to be home by then.  The kids will make the candy cane sleds for races and come see us tomorrow.  (Just a note, if you've never done candy cane sleds, I highly recommend it.  So easy and tons of fun and laughter!)

As for an Aaron update, there's not much change, which is actually okay, too.  He might be doing a tiny bit better, but he's certainly no worse.  We've had to increase his ventilator support by quite a bit, and his oxygen needs are still high.  He's sleeping or just lying there most of the time, really, he's using all his energy just to fight this cold.  He's got quite a ways to go.  We will very much be sitting in the PICU for Christmas Day and quite a few thereafter. But my ugly scary thoughts of yesterday morning are tucked away again and with some Tincture of Time, he'll pull through.

And tomorrow is Christmas Day, the day we celebrate our Savior's birth.  Most years are so busy, this one there will be plenty of time for reflection and gratitude that while we may be in the hospital, he's stable and we have the equipment and expertise to help him.  We'll plan to Skype with our missionaries and have the family come up for a visit.  I'm pretty sure that's a good way to keep Christmas Day.


For unto us a Child is born, unto us a Son is given ... The Prince of Peace.

3 comments:

  1. Is he in the PICU in Utah County or at Primary's

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Primary's, it's always Primary's for us. He's just too complicated for anywhere else.

      Delete
  2. What a beautiful post. Praise God you have Aaron with you for another Christmas! Now that is a blessing, even in the hospital, as you know. The candy cane sleds look fun - we will have to try them. Merry Christmas! Know that I continue to pray for Aaron and you. :)

    ReplyDelete