Sunday, July 14, 2024

Return With Honor

One year ago today.
Dear Aaron,

This popped up in my memories today. 

A year ago Andrew came home. (And a year ago tomorrow Joseph and Sarah were married; it was kinda a busy time). 

We made signs, fun signs (Like "Ladies, look who's home!" and "Uncle Andrew, we missed you this much! with wide spread hands). 

And this one we perched on your chair because it just seemed like a good place to stash it. 

Somehow, while there were some tears, and lots of smiles, it was in greeting you that your siblings broke down. 

Each left knowing that while they were gone, you might also leave. Each went anyway, knowing that helping others learn about Christ and families and joy was important.  

Andrew and his mission president were actually the only ones I ever called to say, "I don't know if he will make it." And that happened twice. 

Twice I had to tell your brother that you might not be here, and yet you were. You did it. You pulled through. I never did have to call a mission home, or a missionary to tell them you were gone. I asked you to never make me do that. Of course, I also asked you for 13 more years as well, 13 more, not 13 total. 

Thank you. 

And then, just before Christmas, you had your own "Homecoming." You returned with honor. You fought the fight, you finished your course, you kept the faith.

Now it's up to me to keep going, keep running. Have I mentioned how I hate running? But no matter, I will, 'cause I know the prize is worth it.

I love you, little man.

Love, 
Mama

"The journey of high honor lies not in smooth ways."
Philip Sidney

No comments:

Post a Comment