Thursday, September 26, 2024

Catalyst for Change

Dear Aaron,

I talked about you today.

I mean, I guess that's nothing new. I talk about you every day.

But today I got to talk about you at a conference, to a room full of people, about system change. You are a catalyst for change.

So many years ago, Aunt Maurie and I used to play "pioneer." I was somewhat jealous of pioneers. I thought it would be amazing to cross the plains in a covered wagon, to run around, and sleep under the stars each night. We hung blankets and sheets on the sides of the bunkbed but left the end open so we could see to "drive." 

I guess I never thought about all the dust you eat, or the mud sucking at your feet, or the blisters, or the bone jarring ruts. 

Being a pioneer wasn't all fun and games.

Sometimes it's surgeries that others get because you live, but you don't because they didn't do those then. Sometimes losing an antibiotic (or two or three or more) because you've had so many infections they just don't work. Often it's sleeping in a chair that really should never have been given the name "bed." Sometimes it's sleepless nights followed by long days. 

Sometimes it's being part of the teaching process, helping others see the value of a parent's contribution and helping change the narrative. 

And sometimes it just hurt. (Still does.)

But along with the dust and the blisters and the ruts and the mosquitoes ('cause I'm sure there were plenty of them) was endless starry nights, and beautiful sunsets and forever friends.

And we get those, too. You were such a nut, and you brought so much love and light, not only to our lives but to those around us. And you're still teaching people. I have dear, dear friends whose path only crossed with mine because of you.  

Aaron, it is such a privilege to share your journey with others, to help them find their "why." 

What a blessing you were, and are! 

Thank you for being my teacher. I still miss you (always will).

Love,
Mama

"When you are sorrowful look again in your heart, and you shall see that in truth you are weeping for that which has been your delight."
Kahlil Gibran 


No comments:

Post a Comment