Friday, October 9, 2015

Sticking my Head in the Sand . . . It's Easier That Way

I've decided I'm going to ignore the medical world and stick my head in the sand.

I got a call from our great pediatrician today.  He's awesome, but he's stumped, and I am, too.  When we were at PCH, they cultured the drainage from Aaron's ear and sent it off for testing.  They FINALLY have it back, plus the susceptibilities.  That's the good news.  The only good news.

This particular bug is not susceptible to ANY oral antibiotics, and just forget about the topical ones we usually use to treat his ear infections.  That's NONE, ZERO, ZILCH, NADA.  Oh, some IV ones can take care of it.  The really big guns like vanco and gent.  But really, IV antibiotics for an ear infection?

Plus, remember back in April and May when he had that lovely C.diff?  Well, that can flare up just about any time now if he's on antibiotics.  The stronger they are, the more likely.  

So we have the fun of antibiotic resistant bacteria (yep, that's exactly what it is) plus an antibiotic caused inflammation just waiting to erupt.  'Cause we just know how to have fun around here.

Anyway, so I'm going to just pretend, for a little while at least, that none of this exists.

No worries about Aaron.  He's had his "toys" around long enough that they're just part of the landscape, just what we do.

But we're going to go to the football game tonight, and hope Lone Peak slaughters the opposition.  I'm going to watch as my sophomore takes the field with the marching band at halftime, and then enjoy the other part of the halftime show where he will be back on the field, along with my senior and all the spirit teams dancing.

Then tomorrow, we're going to try to get the house clean, go cheer on some kids with soccer, and then head to church on Sunday.

Unless someone calls me about medical things, I'm not calling them.  And I'm not going to think about it until at least Monday, and maybe not even then.

We need a break around here, and so I'm going to make one.  And it's going to be good, 'cause I said so.


"Each person deserves a day away in which no problems are confronted, 
no solutions searched for.” 
― Maya Angelou


1 comment:

  1. Did that comment go through? If not, I have that immune system info for you and Aaron. Just need you to email me at vjmiller@trisomy18.org and I can email the articles back to you.

    ReplyDelete