Sunday, May 13, 2012

Happy Mother's Day 2012

It's Mother's Day, my second with Aaron.  I have all my children under my roof this morning.  I don't know how many more times that will happen.  My daughters are out of high school, and one is dating someone exclusively.  My oldest son will be preparing to leave on his mission this time next year.  And not one of us knows how long Aaron's earthly mission will last.  I am so blessed, and feel overwhelmed with love and gratitude today.

I was thinking yesterday about a Mother's Day 17 years ago.  I didn't realize at the time (yesterday) that I was being prepared for last night.  It is amazing how the Lord can help us get ready for things if we are aware of Him.  Seventeen years ago, I had a 14-month-old bundle of energy.  Sitting in church was a challenge for him, to say the least.  So I took him out.  There was another young lady, not yet married or with children, who was appalled that I had taken him out and not my husband.  She tried to take him from me, to give me a rest.  After all, it WAS Mother's Day.  I took him back and said, "Yes, it is Mother's Day, and I am his mother."  I was remembering yesterday how on that day, I wanted to do the "mother things" and I was grateful that I had that opportunity.  Don't get me wrong.  I LOVE being pampered.  Love it when someone else cooks, cleans up, does nice things and lets me nap.  But without my children, I wouldn't be a mother.

So this brings me to last night.  On the weekend, our nurses come in at 10 p.m and stay until 8 a.m.  Last night's nurse was one of our favorites, although in all honesty, I don't have one who's not truly wonderful.  About 10:15 she still hadn't shown up.  She's always on time, right on time.  So at 10:30 I called the agency.  They couldn't reach her, or anyone else at the time either.  So I set up to sleep in Aaron's room.  And instead of feeling apprehensive about the lack of sleep, or angry that I was going to be tired on Mother's Day, I was grateful.  So grateful that I have my wonderful son still here.  Grateful that I was being allowed to take care of this little angel who has so much to give spiritually, but so needs so much physically.  (Side note:  for those who wonder why my husband wasn't taking the shift and letting me sleep, it just works much better this way.  He wouldn't get any sleep at all, and I can sleep and get up for alarms and go right back out.  That way we would both get some sleep.)

Then, at midnight, the phone rang.  We have one nurse in particular who has been willing to come in on last minute notice more than once.  Apparently last night she went to bed about 8 p.m. and never heard her phone ring.  Her daughter noticed that there was a missed call and woke her mom about midnight.  She was willing to come in.  Bless this woman for her help and service.  SHE'S a mom, too. And she was teaching a lesson at church today.  But she came in from 1 a.m. and stayed until 7.  And she'll be back again tonight for a regular shift.  What a blessing she is in our lives.  I know she gets paid, but there are just some things you can't put a price on.  And she lives her life doing those things.

No comments:

Post a Comment