Saturday, March 17, 2018

Tomorrow?

Kinda feeling like Annie right now, “Tomorrow, tomorrow, I love ya, tomorrow, you’re only (always?) a day away.”

Yep, not going home today.  He managed to stay on the home vent yesterday, but spent most of his time between 13 and 15 liters.  Not gonna work for discharge.

But that’s okay, we’ll get there.  He’s resting now and down on eight liters.  If he can stay there, we have a chance.  We also started steroids this morning in hopes that maybe this increased oxygen need is due to his asthma acting up.  It’s the right timing.  Plus, he was needing less oxygen on Thursday than he was yesterday.  His breathing rates increased, too.

The downside of steroids is that it can make it harder for the body to fight off infection.  But given everything else, all his labs and so forth, the team felt good about trying the steroids.

So maybe, maybe tomorrow??

Of course, when I called William last night, discouraged because I was so hopeful for discharge today, he laughed and reminded me that he said he’d see me next Wednesday.  I sincerely hope it’s before then!  I’ve got too much going on.
Laughing, while on 15 liters of O2!

So we continue working on things.  All in all, it’s not too bad.  He’s still happy, still playing most of the night.  This kid is going to have a rude awakening when he goes back to school.  I may, too.

“If we are facing in the right direction, all we have to do is keep on walking.”
~Buddhist Saying



No comments:

Post a Comment