Sunday, March 11, 2018
Well, it was fun while it lasted. Aaron started having cold symptoms yesterday morning and by this morning I was out of tools to keep him home. We’re in the ER right now but I drove us up here (taking my victories where I can). He’s headed to the PICU after they get x-rays and labs. He’s just on too much oxygen to go to the floor. My money is on rhino again.
So here we go. You know that song from the 80’s? “Should I stay or should I go? If I go there will be trouble. If I stay it will be double. So come on and let me know, should I stay or should I go?” Yep, been singing that in my mind for the past 24+ hours.
How’d we get here? Well, it was like this. I think I may have jinxed myself. On Tuesday, Aaron threw a plug about the same time he got off the bus. In fact, he’d done the same thing last Friday, five days earlier. I looked at the kid and told him that I had an insanely busy week and if he was going to try any funny business, he had to wait until Saturday night. He wasn’t an only child and this was the week I was tied up with siblings. Guess he took me at my word.
He actually did really, really well all week. I was down at BYU with the Dancesport Wed, Thursday and Friday, AAALLLLL day. Then on Saturday, Andrew had his Grand Concert at the middle school. Saturday morning he started having more trouble breathing, more junk coming out of his trach, followed by his nose.
By this morning it was pretty obvious, I could either try to bring him in on my own, or wait a few more hours and call an ambulance. So I hyper-oxygenated him by bagging him up and put him in the car. We made it up here just fine, and then he started struggling again. We’re now on 80% FiO2 on the ICU vent. So yep, apparently it was a good call to come on in.
And so the ride begins again...
Every day has a little bit of beauty and a little bit of chaos.