Saturday, May 10, 2014

Okay...

Today has been Okay.  Okay, as in not great, but also not bad.

Aaron made the jump back to his Trilogy vent this afternoon.  But he wasn't able to stay on his home settings.  He started struggling more and more after an hour or so.  He was needing even higher amounts of oxygen than he'd been getting on the hospital vent. So we had to increase his settings.

I guess I let myself get ahead of things.  We all felt so sure that he'd do just fine with the switch.  The plan was to switch him over and spend 24 hours on it and then decide between the floor or home!   Yea!  What a thought!!  And so much faster than ever before.

But that's not quite the reality.  He'll be in here (the PICU) until about 24 hours after we get to his normal home settings, whenever that is, and then we'll see where we go:  home or floor.

So I guess okay really does describe it: fairly good, not very good or very bad.  We're still making progress.  I hadn't really planned (or hoped!) to spend Mother's Day at the hospital.  But that's where we are, and that's okay too.  I will go home for a few hours in the evening.  I need to talk to my kids, and my cell phone isn't set up to call Canada.  So tomorrow I'll get to see/talk to each one of my children, the reason I am a mother.  And that will be more than okay.

You must have long-range goals to keep you from 
being frustrated by short-range failures. 
~Charles C. Noble

No comments:

Post a Comment