Monday, May 12, 2014

Movin' On Up

Getting his shake vest treatment,
trying to get that gunk out of his lungs.
We made it to the floor today.  Progress has been slower than I thought, slower than I'd like.  Was really hoping for a quick sprint to the finish like our last stay, maybe even beating our record!  It still "might" happen but I'm not holding my breath for it.  On the other hand, it is only day four of our admit.

He's been between five and eight liters most of today on his oxygen, and we're still pulling out lots of nasty, thick, somewhat colored (TMI?) secretions.  I'm thinking (and hoping!) that it's just the tail-end of his cold.  Praying it's not yet another, different bug.

So it'll take us a bit longer to get out of here.  But on the positive side, I've got friends up here.  I always do. The bad and the good (but mostly good) is that we get to know each other, support each other, have the same warped sense of gallows humor about the hospital and our kids.  Trust me, unless you inhabit the medically fragile/special needs world, you really don't want to be part of these conversations.  They can be a bit too graphic for most.  It's good to be understood.  Friends like this are priceless.  It makes it not only bearable, but actually kinda fun to be here.  Hey, you gotta find that silver lining, right?

Most of us don’t need a psychiatric therapist as 
much as a friend to be silly with. 
~Robert Brault

No comments:

Post a Comment