After sleeping all night, he woke up about 5 a.m. to play a little more and is asleep again. And he rocked his head back and forth to get to sleep. That's what he usually does, but the past few days he's been in too much pain to do that. It just made him hurt more.
Our situation is still a bit up in the air. We should be able to come up with a plan for the tracheitis this morning. It's a bit hazy because he got his first dose of antibiotics while on the way up here and then they took the trach sample after that. So the growth samples will be a bit skewed, but we'll work with that.
The complicating factor right now is the blood cultures that we're still waiting on. The type of staph growing out in the first one is not one that's usually seen as a skin contaminant, making it more likely that it's a real result and not just a false positive. If it is real, we'll need to have a plan of action to deal with it, and it may very well be a more protracted stay up here. 'Cause an infection in the blood, well, we just don't want to play around with that one. Blood travels, through the whole body, all the organs. That's it's job, to take oxygen and nutrients through the body. But if it's also taking infection throughout, well, let's just not go there.
Added in that we really didn't make much progress on his pain or oxygen needs until after we put the new antibiotic on board, the one targeting the possible staph infection, that helps make the case for something more than just tracheitis.
On the other hand, if the cultures are negative, we might be out of here tomorrow morning. That would be wonderful. Right now, we're still playing things by ear. Either way, the antibiotics are working on whatever it is he's fighting. He's looking better, acting better. I'll take that.