Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Special Kids, Special Parents

I've had people tell me (and I've probably told people this about themselves pre-Aaron), "I don't know how you do it.  I could NEVER do what you do."  Um, well, actually, if you had to, you would.

I remember a few years before Aaron's birth, a friend was taking her child up to Salt Lake a couple times a week.  And I thought, no way!!  No way I could arrange my schedule to do that.  It was too full!

Ha!  Showed me.  Not only can I do that, I have.  In fact, I've moved into the hospital and not walked outside for days on end.  Not something I really recommend, but somehow my quirky personality (and my computer window on the world) makes it work out okay for me.

But see, I don't think it's because I'm "special" or "awesome" or whatever.  It's because I've been given a strength I didn't have before.  Like any other parent, you do what has to be done.  And the blessings that come back are even better.

Besides, when you get to spend time with someone who loves whole with their whole heart, who exudes that unconditional acceptance, your contribution is still lacking in comparison to what you get back.

And this goofy kid just keeps on playing.  He used to have a small mobile and would tangle up the bells that hung from it.  Well, that mobile and the tiny cradle that it went with, have long been put away.




But now, he's got a great big jungle gym that his toys hang from.  And he still tangles it up!  Bigger bed, bigger hanger, and bigger toys with a bigger tangle.  He makes me laugh.  Apparently, we make him laugh, too.


Either way, yesterday my boys were asked if having Aaron around was good for our family.  Every single one of them were adamant that Aaron had only made our family much, much better.  I don't know what we did to deserve him, but I'm so grateful we've been blessed to have him in our home.



1 comment: