Friday, February 2, 2024

Ribbon Cutting Time

Hey Aaron,

Today was the ribbon cutting at "your" hospital. Tomorrow are open house tours and then it starts serving children on February 12. 

You're not there, but yet you are. 

One of the architects stopped me today asking if I remembered him. He laughed as he recalled the sketch plans, and then the blueprints and how we would all discuss different ways to move things around. 

And now it's a reality.

He teared up when I explained that you wouldn't be coming after all. 

One of the speakers mentioned how at Christmas their family had done a "little" thing. They went to Primary's and distributed Minky blankets. Maybe it was little to them, I don't know. But I was given a beautiful white blanket mid-day on the 22nd and went to sleep cuddled under it.

Until I was woke at midnight, and well, you know how the rest goes. You went too. And that blanket came home and helped ground me, helped my own body not fly apart, kept me in the here and now (even though I really wanted to be in the past, where you were still alive). 

So to me, not a little thing at all. 

It is such an amazing building, Aaron, and I can see your fingerprints everywhere. It will bless the lives of countless children and their families. You bless the lives of all those people, even though they never knew you. 

I'm still on the Family Advisory Council and now serving on the exec team. The other two ladies I get to work with are amazing, and I'm so grateful to serve with them. And my service is directly a result of you. Without you, I would never be part of this, would never have helped with the hospital design, would not have gone back to school. I would not be the person I am today. 

Tonight a dear friend came and gave me a massage. I needed this so badly. I mean, I kinda knew, but as she started in on my shoulders, I realized the knots that were there! What a blessing she is...

What a blessing you are, too.

“And if I go, whilst you’re still here…
know that I live on,
vibrating to a different measure behind a thin veil…. ”     
~ Emily Dickinson

No comments:

Post a Comment