Sunday, May 10, 2015

Mother's Day.  Love it or hate it, aching or being pampered, it's here.  And this year, we're at home.

I'm so grateful for my children, those people (some of them not so little anymore) who made me a mom, made me who I am.  Next to my own parents, they've shaped my soul more than anything else in the world.

My mom, who seemed to feel like she didn't quite measure up, but did, really did measure up and then some in every way that mattered, and many that weren't so important.  She raised six kids who bless others' lives, who strive to live true to values, who get goofy and love to be together.  If that's not the way to measure successful motherhood, I don't know what it is.

But I have to admit, my heart is heavy today.  Anyone who's ever read my blog knows I know way too many angel moms.  Not that I don't love them all, not that I would want to give up my association with any.  Just that I wish their angels were still earth angels.

And yesterday, I discovered another.  I felt so glad to have been able to alleviate some trach fears last week, to offer support, both now and for when this family would take their child home.  I'm not sure what happened exactly, but yesterday, this precious angel went Home ahead of the family.

Hug your children, cherish them, smell them, cuddle them, laugh with them, cry with them.  It can end way too soon.

I'm not into sharing videos much, but here's a couple.  One for the moms who don't feel they are "enough."  (Doesn't that kinda seem like the definition of "mom"?)

You are enough.

And one for anyone who's ever said good-by, good-by for school, for a mission, or a much, much longer, more painful good-by.  If you really want to explore further, follow the link to the making of "Homeward Bound."  Just make sure you've got your tissues close by.

Homeward Bound

My mother friends, both with earthly and heavenly angels, you're all in my prayers today.  I know how hard today can be for some, and can only imagine for the others.  I love you.

The moment a child is born, the mother is also born. 
She never existed before. 
The woman existed, but the mother, never. 
A mother is something absolutely new. 
~Rajneesh

No comments:

Post a Comment