Sunday, September 11, 2016

Family "Things"

This week has been a difficult one for me, emotionally and physically exhausting.

On Tuesday, I was sure Aaron was staring down the road with C.diff again.  Wednesday, Matthew left for his two-year mission for the Mormon church.  There's been a lot going on with trying to keep Aaron stable (2 1/2 weeks to surgery) and get Matthew launched.

And now I've got a big Matthew sized hole in my home.  It's hard.  Not nearly as hard as it will be when Aaron goes "home", but still, I miss him, a lot.

But since we had everyone together this summer, we did manage to get family pictures updated.  A wonderful friend came out and did them for us.  If you're looking for a photographer, especially one used to dealing with kids, I highly recommend embre photo.  Love what he did for us.






  \


 Then there was this last Sunday.  Deborah really wanted to do a family Christmas present.  Except we're going to be missing a family member come Christmas.  So she told everyone that they needed to be here for Sunday dinner.  Didn't hurt my feelings at all.  Last family dinner we'll have together for at least two years, and probably four.  But she wouldn't tell anyone (except Dad and me) why.  Then the unveiling, and lots of laughter.

I've had people tell me we're "perfect," our kids so well behaved, always doing what they're supposed to.  And yeah, our kids are pretty good.  By and large, they're people I like spending time with.  But hey, believe you me, we are very much human.  And remember those "Things" from Dr. Suess?  Yeah, they certainly created a lot of havoc and mahem!  And so can mine.

So while we have the great shots of our family all looking the same way (mostly) and smiling and acting civilized, my kids will tell you that these shots are probably more true to character.












 And besides, they make me laugh.

“The family – that dear octopus from whose tentacles we never quite escape, nor, in our inmost hearts, ever quite wish to.” 
- Dodie Smith

2 comments:

  1. I love your beautiful family photos. But oh my gosh! Those "Thing" shirts are the BEST!

    ReplyDelete