Tuesday, April 17, 2018

Georgia On My Mind

I woke this morning to find my friend's daughter gone.  I don't even know how to process this.

Emilee and I have an interesting relationship.  Most mom friends bond over teething, potty training, solid foods.

Well, Georgia and Aaron both got teeth, but other than that, well...

We bonded at funerals.  Yeah, you read that right.  Funerals.  For small children. Babies and preschoolers that never took a step, never went to school.  I know, bizarre.  It's so beyond the comprehension of most parents, and that's a good thing.  But not for us.  And it was hard, but we were together in this strange, unique club of moms who knew their kids were never going to grow up, but never gave up either.

And now she's gone.

Georgia is a twin (yes, IS, she's still a twin).  Her sister, Eden, is a firecracker!  Their little family has been a force for so much good here in our state.  Emilee spearheaded and fought for the Medically Complex Child Waiver (MCCW) that was piloted for three years and just became a permanent program this past year.  What many don't know is that Emilee created this with others even though her daughter didn't need it, wouldn't be using it. She looked around and saw a great need and worked to address it.  Because of Georgia, Emilee has blessed the lives of so many, so very many people who will never know of the countless hours and tears behind the legislation.  

My heart aches.  I don't know what to do.  I sit here as one single tear keeps running down the left side of my face.  I wipe it, and another takes its place. She's gone.  Her spirit has left her tattered, broken body.  She's free and healthy and dancing like she never was able to do here.  But her family has been left behind, broken, battered, much more by her passing than ever, ever with her care.  I can't imagine, I don't want to imagine.  It just hurts. 

Fly high, little one, dance free.  You have touched more lives in your short time than most will over decades of living.  We won't forget you. 



Georgia, Georgia
The whole day through
Just an old sweet song
Keeps Georgia on my mind

I said Georgia
Georgia
A song of you
Comes as sweet and clear 
As moonlight through the pines 


No comments:

Post a Comment